AA Ridgewood Kennels II, Covid-19 Policy
Ridgewood Puppies and Pet Supplies
*COVID-19 Operating Policy*
Both York and Lancaster Counties are in the green phase now and we are getting questions about when we are reopening, if we are reopening, etc. We WILL be reopening, we’re not going anywhere, though we do not have a set date for that at this time. There are a couple reasons for this.
1. Health/Consistency in Animal Care-We are an essential business and could have been open normally during the red phase. Breeding and raising puppies during a pandemic makes reopening a bit more complicated than it might for some businesses. If we, staff or breeders get sick, how does that affect our puppies and the care they are used to? We have to assume it would affect the puppies negatively and keeping that from happening is our number one priority…keeping them happy and with the same routine and care they are used to.
2. Demand-We post new puppies on Sunday. Most puppies are sold before they are even 8 weeks old and legally allowed to leave the kennel. Logistically, when 95% of the people who come through our door are there to see puppies, we can’t reopen two stores with only a few puppies. This does not justify putting all the working parts of raising them at risk by potentially having someone get sick and needing to be quarantined.
Again, we will be reopening, we are just not sure when. This has been the strangest 4 months of our lives, but our puppies have no idea that the world has gone bonkers right now and we intend to keep it that way! We will announce when we have puppies back in the stores and will let everyone know how we will be operating. Priority will be allowing pickups for already sold puppies to happen earlier if the puppy is ready, or visitations with their families if they are not ready. So if you have a deposit, or will be putting one down in the next few weeks, you will be personally notified of our policies as they change!
If you are a regular customer in need of dog food, please email us or use our online chat to set up a curbside pick up appointment!
Steps for buying a puppy with our current operations (Please Note-This is the only way to purchase a puppy from us. We do not use Apple Pay, Venmo, etc. We do not work with third party brokers or sellers):
1. Go to https://store.ridgewoodpuppies.com/product-category/puppies-for-sale-in-pa where you will find all the puppies we currently have available. We do not have available puppies that are NOT on this page. If we do not have the puppy you are looking for, see #2
2. If we do not have the breed you are looking for, sign up for our app or our newsletter at the bottom of our website. Be sure to check your email (possibly junk folder) after signing up to confirm your subscription. This will send a notification out to you every time we post new puppies within a minute or two of them being posted. Puppies are currently posted on Sunday anytime between 2pm-6pm. Be on the look out for it, the pups go quickly!
3. Find your perfect puppy/use our online chat where staff can help you decide on one or answer any questions you may have. Since we aren’t having visitations before the pick up date (and NO, we cannot make exceptions to this), each puppy is featured in a video on our Facebook page. Be sure to check that out so you can see their personality!
4. If you have found the puppy you know you want, go to their personal page and click “Add to Cart.” Then proceed as you would with any other online order.
5. After your deposit is placed, we will be in touch through email as soon as possible to set up a private pick up appointment. Depending on the puppy, this appointment could be anywhere from 2-6 weeks out. There are many factors such as the puppy’s age, size, appetite, appointment availability, etc that determine the date you are offered for pickup. You will be offered the soonest one available…we do not hold puppies unnecessarily, so please be understanding if it is longer of a wait than you would have hoped for. If you “need” to the get the puppy immediately, please know that is not possible. If you cannot wait for your puppy, do not place the deposit!
If you have any special needs/requirements of the puppy, like size for traveling or landlord purposes, shedding for allergy purposes, are expecting a certain personality, etc. PLEASE go over this with us as soon as possible. It is not fair to the puppy to tell us four days before pickup that you have allergy concerns when you did a deposit on a puppy that will shed after that puppy has been being held for you for a month. Ideally, you can use our Online Chat and we can steer you in the right direction breed-wise for your needs BEFORE you place a deposit. If you’ve done a deposit on a puppy that is not ideal for your requirements, it’s much easier to switch your deposit to another puppy right away than to do it just a day or two before he/she is supposed to go home with you.
Our trips to the kennel are extremely limited right now for social distancing purposes. For that reason, we aren’t taking extra pictures and videos of the puppies, even puppies with deposits on them. Even if requested. We know it’s less than ideal but please remember, every time we interact with a kennel caretaker or them with us, we risk exposing each other. Kennel trips are limited to one day a week, to take pictures for the next set of pups and to bring all puppies over for that weekend’s pickups. Videos of the new puppies will still be posted on Facebook every week, so feel free to check them out. Exceptions will not be made to this policy.
Currently the pricing on puppies is being set by a fluctuating market that we have no control over. They go from modest to extreme and because of that it’s become impossible to give quotes on puppies that aren’t available right now. Industry experts are telling us this is because rescues and shelters don’t have access to the regular international pet imports they normally enjoy. This has led to a nationwide puppy shortage. Currently the swings could be anywhere from 1800 to 3000 (excluding Frenchies) but that is subject to change. We are currently NOT accepting future deposits on puppies we do not have because we are not able to accurately quote prices for weeks in the future.
We are not available in the store to speak on the phone while we are closed. Our very knowledgeable staff is standing by on our live chat at the bottom right hand corner of our website to answer any questions you may have. You may send an email as well ([email protected]), though the volume of emails we are getting has been incredibly overwhelming and we may not be able to respond. We’re working all day, every day to get to everyone’s email and still are not able to get them all. Your best bet is to use the chat!
When you place a deposit, after your private pickup appointment has been scheduled, feel free to continue communications through email. Much of our email time is being used for communicating with people who have deposits down and this is taking up much of the day, which is why we can’t always get back to people without deposits.
About your pickup appointment:
-We know for most of you, this will be the first time you are meeting your puppy, so we are allotting a strict 45 minute appointment for each customer. This ensures we can fit everyone in, sanitize properly between each appointment and give you time to get acquainted with your new puppy and go through paperwork (which takes 10-15 minutes).
-Pickups will be at our KINZERS location only. As we are pickier than most about the confidence our pups feel and their readiness to go through the stress of leaving us, it will be rare that we send pups home before ten weeks old during this time. Most of our puppies will be closer to 12 weeks old when they go home to ensure they are ready for the move.
What to expect at your appointment:
1. Give us a call when you are in the parking lot, we will open the door for you. Please use hand sanitizer upon entering the building, and we are asking that customers wear masks unless medically impossible. Only two people will be allowed in the building per appointment.
2. We will pick out any merchandise that you may need for your puppy. You may choose it, but our staff will accompany you around the store (six feet away of course) and will take it off our shelves and take it to the counter to check it out for you.
3. This unfortunately also means that puppies cannot be touched until you have decided you definitely want that puppy. Puppies cannot be “disinfected,” so they will need to remain untouched until you are certain that he or she is leaving with you that day. We will bring your puppy out to play and you will have most of that 45 minute appointment to observe him or her to see personality. (Again, we KNOW this is not ideal, but it goes in line with the times we are living in right now, and we cannot make any exceptions.)
4. Once you have decided you are definitely taking the puppy home, we will go over paperwork, and then you are welcome to snuggle as much as you like!
5. The goal is for you to literally only touch the pen and paper that you need to sign to take the puppy home. These measures are to protect everyone involved and give everyone peace of mind.
6. If you are feeling ill or running a fever, we ask that you notify us and reschedule your appointment.
7. In between each appointment the areas that customers are in will be thoroughly sanitized. iPad, pens, counter, chairs, door handles, etc, even if they have not been touched by other customers.
Those making a long trip to us for your pickup should prepare for your drive accordingly. Fill up locally, take plenty of food and water and anything else you might need for a non stop trip. It is better to be early and wait in your car until your appointment time than to be twenty minutes late and feel rushed during your now shorter appointment or miss your appointment all together. We are on a very tight schedule with other puppies to send home, so if appointments are missed, you will have to wait until the end of the day or reschedule for another day.
Our puppies are also finding homes way more quickly than we would have ever expected. On new puppy day, it is nearly impossible for us to keep up with emails. If you see a puppy you are interested in and you do not want to miss out on them, we recommend placing a deposit to have him or her held for you. Feel free to reach out on our online chat that day if you have any questions. We recommend signing up for our newsletter so you are notified when the new pups are posted.
We do understand that some of these policies are not ideal. Nothing about the world we’re living in at the moment is ideal, and while we are all about customer service and would love to make exceptions, please understand that we are all going through what you’re going through…except with lots of little puppies that have no idea what is going on the world. They expect us all to remain happy and healthy enough to take care of them as usual, so the measures we are taking are to ensure that.
We thank you all for your understanding in all of this. We’ve spoken privately with so many of you in the last month about our policies, and how fast changing this situation can be, and your patience with us has been so uplifting and is appreciated. We have a couple pickup weekends under our belt now and the cooperation and understanding we are getting from everyone is overwhelming. That’s the only way we can get through this tough time and it’s inspiring to see and experience it in person! We thank you again, for your continued understanding, and we will keep you updated on any future policy changes.